On the Radio: Holly Becker from Decor8 - Home Design with Kevin Sharkey

Holly Becker 2012

Stylist and world-renowned blogger Holly Becker called into my show from her home in Germany. World traveler! Her blog, Decor8, is always beautiful and inspiring and I loved chatting with her. Listen to my show every week on SiriusXM channel 110 on Wednesday from 4-5p.m. ET.

What would be your dream decorating project?

I live in Hannover, Germany and there is a freestanding cafe in our city forest, Waldcafe Milchhäuschen, that has been around since at least a century and I dream of someday working with the owners to transform it into a stylish cafe and garden/lifestyle shop. The inspirations for my project would be The Royal Cafe in CopenhagenRosendals Trädgård in Stockholm,Terrain at Styer's in Glen Mills, PA and ABC Kitchen in NYC. I'd want to mix in fresh takes on more old-fashioned German motifs and recipes and prepare food that is light, healthy and delicious, too. As for the structure, I'd love to work with an architect to design a modern building with white 'fachwerk', skylights, transom windows, and lots of exposed beams using northern Scandinavian pine or better yet, pine from the Eilenriede forest where the cafe is located. I imagine brushed concrete floors since it is in a forest and receives a lot of foot traffic from muddy feet and lots of space to eat both inside and out along with community-style long tables that are very typical in German beer gardens using iron and pine, with industrial style lighting overhead. Of course, a wood burning stove would be a must for the Fall and Winter and in addition to German glühwein, I'd like to introduce New England style apple cider as it's hard to find here -- and homemade hot cocoa with marshmallows - of course! I already have the entire concept down - now I just need lots of money and the opportunity - the tricky part!

What’s your favorite color to decorate with right now?

I don't hone in a single color as much as complete palettes - I can easily become obsessed with a palette. I was shopping in Paris this past February at Merci and saw a splattering of orange, rust, gray and mint paint against a gray concrete floor in the women's clothing department -  and then the clothing directly above it had those same colors along with emerald green, peach and metallic copper and a little brass. Ever since March, all I can think about is combining emerald green with a very pale peach and mixing in some charcoal gray, mint and copper with a little orange. I'm thinking to decorate my classroom in my studio space with this palette for my next decorating workshop.

9781452110646

What was the last great book you read?

I recently read, and loved, a book called Woodcut by Bryan Nash Gill and another called One by Victoria Alexander - both were very inspirational and helped me to think in new directions - I didn't expect both books to touch me as much as they did - the inspiration was so random and not what I would normally gravitate towards yet I cannot recommend both books enough. My note: Holly's book Decorate Workshop comes out Nov. 21, 2012.

Who are your must-follow Pinners?

Stylist James Leland Day. I had lunch with him in Paris over the winter and can't get enough of his impeccable style so Pinterest is where I go to see what's on his radar. I also love Leslie Shewring's Pinterest boards - they're gorgeous and inspirational. I really like following @lottaagaton, @taza, @whimsyandspice, @ayu0319, @zooeydeschanel and @photoshome on Instagram.


On the Radio: Holly Becker from Decor8 - Home Design with Kevin Sharkey

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Info Trend Copyright © 2011-2012 | Powered by Blogger